Sunday, February 11, 2007

Coffeeaholic

How can I live without coffee?

As a hard-worker and nondrinker, coffee is the only refuge in my life. While working on something very hard, it gives me much more energy to concentrate more thoroughly on my work.
'Coffee Break' is not a term that could apply to me because I don't usually drink a cup of coffee during the break time. Instead, I drink it while I'm doing something, like when people smoke while they are working. How much do I drink? You might think I drink 5~6 cups of coffee a day, but in all actuality I don't. I go to the vending machine 2~3 times a day and put some coins-200won(approximately 20cents)-into it waiting for the lovely coffee. Then I take it out and… smell it while closing my eyes…hmmm.



Knowing this, you might wonder why I call myself as a coffeeaholic, when actually just drinking 2 or 3 cups of coffee a day doesn't make me addicted to it. Even if I don't drink at all or drink less, I don't feel any headaches and my hands never shake. However, I'm always longing for the time when I can get my next cup. I'm waiting for my coffee fix like a guy who is waiting for his sweetheart. Now, I think we could assume I am definitely into coffee.


Despite the fact that I enjoy coffee so much, I am still confused coffee terminology. For instance, when I go to a coffee shop, I always ask others to recommend something to me. But from now on, I will order it by myself because I searched the internet and found out terms for coffee. If you also don't know what to order at a coffee shop because you don't know the names of coffee, here is some information for you. From this time forth, you don't have to feel dumb when you order.(taken from http://coffeefaq.com/site/node/94)



Espresso drink names and terms
Caffe Latte
A Caffe Latte is a single shot of espresso with steamed milk. There is not frothed milk in this drink. A Caffe Latte should have approximately a 3:1 ratio of milk to coffee. Note: ordering a Latte in an Italian restaurant may get you a glass of milk so be sure to order Caffe Latte.
Cafe au Lait
A Cafe au Lait is similar to a Caffe Latte except it is generally made with brewed coffee instead of espresso in a ratio of 1:1 milk to coffee with sugar added to taste.

Cappuccino
Cappuccino is traditionally equal parts espresso, steamed milk and frothed milk. Many coffee shops will add much more milk than this in the belief that bigger is better.

Americano
An Americano is a single shot of espresso with 6 to 8 ounces of hot water added. This term was originally devised as a sort of insult to Americans who wanted their espresso diluted.

Mocha
This is usually a Cappuccino or a Caffe Latte with chocolate syrup added. This term actually has very little meaning beyond chocolate being involved so you might want to ask what it is in a given coffee house before you order one.

Lungo
This is an extra long pull allowing approximately twice as much water through the same amount of coffee as normally used for a single shot. This will be somewhat over extracted. It's about a 2-3 ounce shot.

Cafe Macchiato
Cafe Macchiato is a shot of espresso (served in a small espresso cup) topped off with steamed milk (of a velvety smooth texture) - the ratio of cafe/latte is approximately 80/20. Most Italians drop a teaspoon of sugar in this elixir. Put another way this is a serving of espresso with a small dollop of foam on top.

Cafe Breva
A Cafe Breva is essentially a cappuccino made with half&half instead of whole milk. This should have a very rich creamy flavor. Half&half is a bit of a pain to foam, but it most definitely can be done.

1 comment:

Sunny said...

I love vending machine coffee in Korea. It is cheap. It is good. And the portion is perfect. I like mocha gold coffee mix sticks too.

I like your blog too.